1 (5-7lb) roasting chicken
1 c basil pesto sauce (homemade is best!)
3 T dry white wine
¾ c (plus 2 T) chicken broth
2 T all purpose flour
3 T whipping cream
fresh basil sprigs
1. Pat chicken dry. Slide hand between chicken skin & meat (over breast & legs) to form pockets.
2. Reserve 1 T pesto for gravy, then spread the rest of the pesto under the skin in pockets, in cavity & over outer skin.
3. Tie legs together, tuck wings under body, place chicken in large roasting pan.
4. Preheat oven 450°F & roast chicken 15 mins. Reduce heat 375°F & roast 1¼ hr more (internal temp 165°F).
5. Transfer chicken to platter, pour pan juices into glass cup, degrease & reserve.
6. Add wine to roasting pan & bring to a boil, scrape up browned bits.
7. Combine 2 T broth & flour in a bowl, stir until smooth.
8. In heavy saucepan, add wine mixture, pan juices, ¾ c chicken broth, & flour mixture; bring to boil whisking constantly.
9. Boil until reduced to sauce consistency about 5 mins. Mix in 1 T pesto, cream, s&p.
10. Garnish chicken platter with basil sprigs, serve pesto gravy on the side.
¼ c sour cream or crème fraîche
¼ c olive oil
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 T dijon mustard
1 T dry white wine
¼ t white pepper
1 – 9 oz package fresh cheese tortellini (or other small pasta)
1 T olive oil
½ c thinly sliced red onion
¼ c chopped chives or green onion tops
¼ c chopped fresh dill (or 1 T dried)
2 T drained capers
3 oz smoked salmon or lox, cut into thin strips
1. Whisk first 6 ingredients in bowl, cover & chill dressing.
2. Cook tortellini in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, drain.
3. Transfer tortellini to bowl, add 1 T oil & toss to coat.
4. Add red onion, chives, dill & capers & toss again.
5. After cooled, add salmon & enough dressing to coat, toss well.
6. Chill & serve.
1 c grits, locally milled
milk (according to package directions)
½ c butter, cut into chunks
5.8 oz container boursin cheese (garlic & fine herbs)
1 t salt
¼ t cayenne pepper
½ c liquid egg whites
½ cup milk
1 T finely chopped fresh basil or parsley
1. Cook grits in milk according to package directions, remove from heat.
2. Stir butter, boursin cheese, salt, & red pepper into grits.
3. In separate container, vigorously beat eggs & egg whites, then stir in ½ c milk.
4. Add milk & egg mixture into grits & blend.
5. Pour into greased soufflé or baking dish.
6. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes, until just set.
7. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
1 T olive oil
1 c onion, diced
½ c each red & yellow pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 – 15 oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
2 T lime juice
1 – 14 oz can coconut milk
2 c chicken or vegetable stock
1 T garam masala
½ T curry powder
s & p
4 c fresh spinach, chopped
¼ c fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Sauté onions & peppers in oil, 8 mins, add garlic & cook 2 mins more.
2. Transfer to pot, add beans & lime juice, lightly mash about ¼ of beans with fork or masher.
3. Stir in coconut milk, stock, spices, s&p & cayenne then bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer for 20 mins.
4. Right before serving, stir in spinach & let wilt 1-2 mins.
5. Serve over rice or other grain, sprinkle with fresh cilantro & dollop of sour cream.
3 T olive oil
½ c chopped onion
1 pound fresh chopped mushrooms
2 c long grain rice (white, brown or mixture)
¼ c fresh chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
¾ c melted butter
2½ c full fat stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1. Sauté onions & mushrooms in olive oil for about 10 minutes
2. Add rice & sauté 2 mins.
3. Layer all ingredients in a casserole dish, in the order listed, stir to mix.
4. Bake on 350°F for 1 hr.
5. Sprinkle top with fresh parsley.
1 – 8 oz jar dijon mustard
½ c dry white wine
2 T chopped fresh tarragon
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, lightly pounded
tarragon sprigs for garnish
1. Whisk together mustard, wine & tarragon in large stainless steel bowl.
2. Place chicken in baking dish, season with s&p, coat with marinade, cover & refrigerate 24 hours.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, reserve marinade.
4. Cook chicken on medium hot grill, 6 mins per side (or sauté in heavy skillet).
5. Heat reserved marinade to boiling.
6. Drizzle hot marinade over chicken & garnish with fresh tarragon.
Note: can substitute chicken thighs
2 T butter
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1 c whole milk
1 – 15 oz can chickpeas, with liquid
1 – 15 oz can white beans, drained & rinsed
1 thyme sprig
2 sage leaves
1 bay leaf
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4-6 kale leaves, ribs & stems removed, cut into 1″ strips
Garnishes: shaved parmesan, olive, red pepper flakes, crusty bread
1. Melt the butter in saucepan on med-high.
2. Add garlic, cut side down, cook 1-2 mins to golden brown.
3. Stir in milk, chickpeas, white beans, herbs, nutmeg, s&p.
4. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and add kale.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 15 mins.
6. Remove herbs & garlic head, cool garlic & remove soft cloves with fork.
7. Serve beans with shaved parmesan, drizzle of olive oil, pinch of crushed red pepper.
8. Spread crusty bread with soft garlic cloves & serve alongside beans.
Caramel Sauce Makes 1 Cup
1 box high quality brownie mix
Cook according to package directions
1 c sugar
6 T butter
½ c heavy cream
1 t vanilla extract (optional)
1. In heavy bottomed 2-3 quart pan, caramelize sugar on medium high, stir constantly until melted & amber. (Careful gets very hot).
2. Whisk in butter, until melted.
3. Remove from heat & whisk in cream, continue to whisk until smooth.
4. Let cool & then spread on brownies.
Note: can pour into mason jar & refrigerate for other uses.
1 T vegetable oil
1 T sesame oil
1 lg eggplants (about 1 ½ lb), peeled, ¾” strips
1 c onion, medium diced
2 t fresh garlic, minced
2 t fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 t asian garlic chili sauce
2 T fresh lime juice
green onion & fresh cilantro (garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. Combine vegetable & sesame oils. Toss 4 t with cut eggplant & onion, roast on baking sheet until tender, 10-15 min.
3. Sauté garlic & ginger in remaining 2 t oil. Add chili sauce, lime juice & roasted vegetables, season with s&p.
4. Serve hot with green onion & fresh cilantro garnish.
Makes 1 loaf
1 ½ c vegetable oil
2 c sugar
2 ½ c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt
3 c fresh apples, chopped
1 c pecans (optional)
1 t vanilla
1. Blend oil & sugar, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well.
2. Sift dry ingredients together, add to egg mixture.
3. Stir in apples, pecans & vanilla.
4. Pour into greased 10″ loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350F for about an hour.